Organisation of the Essay
Organize your essay into paragraphs. Each paragraph must:
- Have a topic/lead sentence to show what it is about;
- Include suitable quotations to clarify your points;
- Have link words (also known as connectives or transitional words/phrases) to link your paragraphs.
The introductory paragraph must:
- Relate to the question;
- Include the main words/terms that appear in the various sections of the question;
- Give the examiner an idea of how you are going to tackle the answer.
The body of the essay must:
- Consist of well-organised paragraphs;
- Deal with each element in a paragraph of its own;
- Present your line of reasoning.
The concluding paragraph must:
- Provide a summary of the main points that you have made in the body of your essay;
Refer to the question that is being answered.