CHECKLIST FOR READING/ANALYSING A SHORT STORY*
- How are the events presented in the story?
- How is
the plot developed? Does the author use a linear (chronological) pattern?
- Is flashback one of the techniques used?
- Do any of the early events or incidents prepare the reader for later ones?
- Do any events or incidents lead you to anticipate the outcome?
- What is the nature of the conflict?
- At what point does the story climax?
- Does the climax bring about a change in character or situation?
- What are the types of character/s present in the story? (flat, round, stereotype, stock)
- Are the characters believable?
- How are the characters presented by the author?
- What is the main character like?
- Does the author present fully developed characters?
- What are the conflicts that the main character faces?
- Does this character change as a result of the events that he or she experiences in the story?
- What is the nature of the change?
- If there is no change, why not?
· How important is the setting of the story?
· Does the setting help to develop the plot? How does it do so?
· What does the setting contribute to our understanding of the meaning of the story?
· Does the setting have any influence on the characters?
Point of View
- Does the point of view that is used help the author to expose the theme? If so, how?
- To what extent is the narrator a reliable witness to events?
- Would the choice of a different point of view change the story significantly?
- What is the theme of the story?
- Does the title provide a clue to what it is?
- Is there only one theme or are there several themes?
- Does the author suggest the theme through imagery?
· Does the author use figurative language in telling this story, or is the language literal?
· If figurative language is used, what is the effect?
· Does the author use dialogue to advance the action of the story? If dialect is used what is the effect?
· What examples of figurative language are most striking in the story?
· Why are they striking?
· How does figurative language contribute to the meaning and theme of the story?